Botulism is a rare but serious illness caused by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The bacterium may enter the body through wounds, or they may live in improperly canned or preserved food.
Clostridiumbotulinum is found in soil and untreated water throughout the world. It produces spores that survive in improperly preserved or canned food, where they produce toxin. When eaten, even tiny amounts of this toxin can lead to severe poisoning.
The foods most commonly contaminated are home-canned vegetables, cured pork and ham, smoked or raw fish, and honey or corn syrup. Botulism may also occur if the organism enters open wounds and produces toxin there.
Infant botulism is a special type in which living bacteria or its spores are eaten and grow within the infant's gastrointestinal tract. The most common cause of infant botulism is eating honey or corn syrup.
Clostridiumbotulinum also occurs normally in the stool of some infants.
Approximately 110 cases of botulism occur in the U.S. per year. The majority are in infants. Respiratory failure caused by weakness in the muscles that control breathing can cause death in up to 7% of food-related illness.
- Difficulty swallowing and speaking
- Progressive weakness with paralysis
- Nausea, vomiting
- Abdominal cramps
- Dry mouth
- Double vision
- Breathing difficulty that may lead to respiratory failure
- Temporary lack of breathing
- No fever, usually
- In infants:
- Weakness, loss of muscle tone
- Weak cry
- Poor feeding and weak sucking
- Respiratory distress
- Alertness, despite weakness
Symptoms usually appear between 8 - 36 hours after consuming contaminated food.
Exams and Tests
- Speech impairment
- Muscle function/feeling loss
- Eyelid drooping
- Absent or decreased gag reflex
- Absent or decreased deep tendon reflexes
- Paralyzed bowel
- Severe constipation
- Urine retention with inability to urinate
- Blood test to identify toxin
- Laboratory analysis of suspected food
- Stool culture
Emergency hospitalization is recommended in cases of respiratory trouble. The goal of treatment is to establish a clear airway, aid breathing, give botulinus anti-toxin, and provide supportive therapy.
If breathing difficulty develops, intubation (a tube inserted through the nose or mouth into the trachea to provide an airway for oxygen) and mechanical ventilation are given. Intravenous fluids can be given when the patient has swallowing difficulties. A feeding tube may be inserted in the nose.
Cases of botulism are reported to state health authorities or the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) by health care providers so that contaminated food can be removed from stores. Antibiotics are often given, but have not been shown to always be beneficial.
Prompt treatment significantly reduces the risk of death.
- Aspiration pneumonia (caused by inhaling material) and infection
- Respiratory distress
- Long-lasting weakness
- Nervous system problems for up to 1 year
When to Contact a Medical Professional
Go to the emergency room or call the local emergency number (such as 911) if you suspect botulism food poisoning.
- Do NOT give honey or corn syrup to infants younger than 1 year old -- not even just a little taste on a pacifier!
- Always discard bulging cans or off-smelling preserved foods. Sterilize home-canned foods by pressure cooking at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- DO NOT "TASTE TEST"!
- Keep foil-wrapped baked potatoes hot or in the refrigerator, not out in room temperature.
- Prevent infant botulism by breast-feeding, if possible.
Email to a Friend
More about Botulism - Drugs.com